Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Walmart



This installation is going to be a satire about our culture, but specifically about our form of commerce. I want to contrast gifting with capitalism. The first thing that came to your mind was Walmart right? Me too. So I’ve downloaded a copy of Walmart’s stock graph from the day I was born up until the present. How should I include this subject in my work? Do I just paint the graph on top of something? Do I take the values of all of the peaks from the graph and list them with their dates in columns? Or do I have a recording of someone reading Walmart’s daily closing stock value? Maybe I take the difference between Walmart’s stock value and some numerical value pulled from the United Way. I need more ideas, please help.

6 comments:

  1. I know nothing. I think all of your ideas are good ones and I know whatever you come up with will be rad. (yeah, that's right. rad.)

    Mostly I just wanted to comment to say "yay you started an art blog! I can't wait to see what else is coming"

    Also to let you know I'm reading. And following. And stalking. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like having the graph. I also like the idea of someone reading the closing stock value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, the concept of contrasts is very powerful. It could add a large amount of conceptual complexity to the conversation you are creating. As an installation, I am very drawn to the idea of audio information as well. I don't think being overt about the whole capitalist content will benefit you. Relating to your earlier discussion of the "horse", if you leave the interpretation open ended (as I know you will) and allow for discovery and exploration in the artwork by individual's they will experience the concept at diverse levels of understanding. I also feel that the artist statement is a place for you to shed some light on the whole concept if people take time to read about the work. Ultimately, I think that a combination of related imagery could be used since you are activating such a large space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Invert the graph and post that it represents the decline of civilization and then use a post-apocalyptic theme with the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Capitalism vs. gift giving. That is an interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Capitalism is a system of survial of the fittest that can crush those who are unable or unwilling to meet its demands. It is powerfully promoted by the people who have benefited from it the most. It's an "I keep what I get" mentality. Whenever you hint at weath redistrubtion or "forced gifting" people who have a lot tend to cling tighter to their resources like a kid saying "no MINE!"
    Gifting is a voluntary sacrifice of some commodity--time, engergy, resources. It seeks to enhance another person's life. If I had to chose colors, I'd give capitalism a red and gift giving a purple.

    ReplyDelete