Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What is it?

“That kinda looks like scribbles,” my nephew said. He was right, it did look like scribbles. Some of you might get turned off from my work because it doesn’t “look realistic.” Here’s the briefest explanation I can give for my style: First, I think colors, textures, and shapes can be beautiful similar to the way classical music without words can be beautiful. Second, I need my work to communicate an open-ended concept. If I were to paint a photographic image of a horse then the painting would probably have one simple meaning: horse. But if I make a painting that incorporates predictive text, topographical images, textile designs, and the word “corporate” then the interpretations of meaning will be as varied as the people viewing the work. Those interpretations will be much more valuable than "horse."

4 comments:

  1. After viewing art with you for the past 3 years, I definitely agree that a more open-ended piece is more enjoyable than a horse picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I'm smart enough to look at your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXACTLY. I just had the best time showing works from cubism to surrealism to abstract expressionism to the first through fourth graders. They were so much more intrigued with modern art because the viewer plays a larger role in understanding the work, making their own interpretations and digging for meaning. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps that is one way to look at it, but using your 'horse' analogy what about reveling in the beautiful organization of God's creation? The more time spent viewing the horse, the more of a connection the viewer could make with 'divine influence.' Certainly the painting of a horse could convey the artist's personal views on the matter and an appreciation for each detail duplicated from the original.

    Perhaps a viewer of the work would ask themselves "Why paint a picture of a horse? I've seen hundreds and this subject is boring" but they would be missing the point of the whole piece. Of course, the whole piece could be about nothing more than money to the artist, but to the person who requested the painting it could mean something far greater.

    Some of this post is a little tongue-in-cheek, but think about why we treasure pictures of individuals even if we spend plenty of time with them. In nearly every case, a person would prefer to keep a picture of a loved one than a piece of modern art.

    ReplyDelete