Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Prediction? Text.


I've started using numbers in my art to represent communication and language. Specifically I'm using numbers that would create words if you were to type them into your phone's text messaging app. Up until now those words haven't been terribly important, but I'm thinking about making their messages more specific. Perhaps they will make a sentence that describes some concept the piece is dealing with.

Pros: 1. Some people think codes are cool. 2. Some people will get into the 'interactivness' of the work. 3. Concepts can be overtly stated without being written in your face. 4. It's an awesome reference to contemporary culture.

Cons: 1. Most people will never know the numbers mean anything. 2. It might require too much work for the viewer. 3. People might resort to reading the text instead of coming up with their own interpretations. 4. It might be distracting.

Opinions?

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, what the text says matters a lot. I mean, don't put "Art should only be a gift."

    Maybe a good one would be, "This piece is worth $100,000 to my Aunt Helen"

    Or maybe, "This has been from Randy to Katy, to Sarah to Amy."

    Actually, I'm sure that you'll come up with something better, but I'm trying to say that I like the text idea. I think if you say the right thing, it won't distract or keep people from coming up with their own interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK here's the thing, I like it. I like texting, I like codes, I like that there is a message there to be received and I don't have to study artistic symbols for 4 years to get that message. So, maybe I'm a lazy art-observer (actually, I know I am) but I like secret texts.

    Also, numbers are cooler than letters - cooler looking I mean. Letters looks like type, or handwriting, but numbers have cool shapes. So, that's why it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--i like the secret code with acutal meanings.
    Hint: If you put in a birthing reference you'll have me captivated for hours. Gift giving and child bearing and capitalism now there's an interesting topic. (just kidding...sort of. but i did make a promise to myself not to bring up childbirth again in the presence of any fugals ever :) )

    ReplyDelete